Before Caboolture had modern buildings and a busy town centre, law and order were managed from a modest timber building that also served as the local courthouse.
A photograph taken on 18 March 1981 shows the Caboolture Police Station as it stood at the time. A humble, three-room building that was home to 16 officers. The structure had been moved to that site in 1969, but its story began much earlier.
The first official mention of police in Caboolture appears in correspondence dated 3 December 1869. A few months later, on 8 March 1870, Police Commissioner Seymour wrote about transferring a portable lock-up from the Parliamentary buildings to Caboolture. This move signalled the government’s recognition that the growing township needed a local police presence.
Historical Police Annual Reports show that the Caboolture Police Station officially opened in 1872. At the time, the station was staffed by only two men, a Senior Constable and a Constable. Among the earliest known officers were Sergeant Walker, registration number 77, and Senior Constable Thomas Robinson, registration number 316.
The original police station was a simple timber building that managed to fit an office, a kitchen, and two cells into just four rooms. One of the cells even served as the constable’s bedroom, and a corner of the kitchen was used for the Court of Petty Sessions. It was a practical space that served multiple purposes.
As the town continued to grow, residents called for more suitable facilities. On 10 August 1889, a petition signed by 23 locals requested the construction of a dedicated courthouse. Among the signatories were Justices of the Peace, including J W Zillman, H Payne, G W Mallet and J Carseldine and their request was eventually met. On 5 March 1891, the Government Gazette announced that tenders were being called for the construction of a new police station and courthouse. The successful contract was awarded to James Campbell Thompson.
A separate courthouse was finally built in 1950. Both buildings continued to serve the Caboolture community until 1984. They remain a quiet but meaningful part of the region’s early development and a reminder of how far the town has come.
Image courtesy of City of Moreton Bay, Reference Number CLPC-P1076
Read more stories from The Caboolture Guide print magazine here:
- Caboolture Connect: Updates from the Community
- What’s Hot Around Town
- Podcast Review: How Did This Get Made?
- Organic Gardening in September
- Art Hits the Sand in SWELL Style Again
- The Dag Pub – Bigger, Better and Friendlier Than Ever
- Changing the Story…Period!
- Why 2025 Could Be the Year Your Borrowing Power Gets a Boost
- Discover Lace Through the Ages at Caboolture Historical Village
- Bringing Generations Together at Seniors Expo
- Taking a Stand at the Boom Gates
- Mango Fruit Cake
- How to Find FREE School Holiday Activities
- Still Rockin’: The Radiators Are Heading to Caboolture
- Wamuran F.A.M Festival is Perfect Family Outing
- Free and Friendly Healthcare for Women