Dellit’s Store and the Early Development of Wamuran 

Photo of author
Written By Julia Lewis

Wamuran’s early township developed around a small number of essential services, with local businesses, the railway and community buildings forming the centre of daily life. By the early 1920s, the area was beginning to take shape as a service hub for surrounding rural properties. The presence of the railway supported this growth, providing a direct link for goods and people moving through the district. 

One of the key businesses during this period was Dellit’s store. Walter Dellit purchased land for the store in June 1923, on a site located between the local hall and the Baptist Church. The land had been subdivided in 1918 by Thomas Brown and his sons, who were sawmillers operating in the district. 

Dellit established a general store that quickly became an important service for the local community. In addition to operating from the shop, he provided delivery services to surrounding farms, supplying goods across the wider district. This type of service was typical of rural areas at the time, where access to supplies often depended on local businesses and reliable transport.

A Store That Helped Shape a Growing Rural Community

In 1927, ownership of the store passed to Walter Dellit’s parents, John Frederick and Fredericka Charlotte Dellit. The family continued to operate the business until February 1936, when it was sold to Florence Eveline Irons. It changed hands again in 1938, reflecting the shifting nature of small businesses during this period. 

The store remained part of the township until it was destroyed by fire. In 1944, the site was resumed for road purposes, and the area was later developed into what is now known as Wise Street. 

The surrounding buildings, including the Baptist Church and neighbouring shops, formed part of the early commercial and social centre of Wamuran. Together, they supported a growing population and provided services that were essential to everyday life in the district. 

Today, the layout of the township has changed, but elements of its early development remain evident. Wise Street now marks the location where Dellit’s store once stood, while the site of the former Baptist Church is occupied by a local IGA.

Featured image: General Store Keeper Wamuran | Image courtesy of Wamuran Historical & Visitor’s Centre Inc

Read more stories from The Caboolture Guide print magazine here: